What is CBD oil?
A non-psychoactive and highly therapeutic chemical compound in the marijuana or cannabis plant has sparked a remarkable revolution in the marijuana industry. According to recent studies, CBD has been proven to have medical benefits thereby making it an effective alternative to treat various ailments such as anxiety disorders, epilepsy, arthritis, pain, multiple sclerosis, and cancer among others. Additionally, it can be used to reduce day-to-day stress and more minor symptoms. However, some people often ask, ‘What is CBD?’ CBD is one of the primary chemical compounds found in the marijuana plant. It has non-intoxicating effects, unlike its THC counterpart. Hence, the reason it is used for medical purposes. THC, o the other hand is used for recreational purposes. Thus, when buy cannabis, many people often have mind-altering effects such as hallucinations.
CBD, conversely, does not have psychoactive effects as aforementioned. It can be extracted and processed into different forms each suitable for various needs and lifestyles. Hence, if you are looking to find the ideal CBD remedy for your particular health condition, seek medical help from a professional. They will help prescribe or recommend the right product and dosage for you. Additionally, you need to note that the use of marijuana has not been legalized worldwide. It has been sanctioned in some of the states in the U.S and some countries in the world. Hence, you need to ensure you do not consume the product if it is not legalized in your country. Doing so will land in severe issues with the federal government.
What is cannabis oil?
As mentioned earlier, the cannabis plant constitutes two major compounds: CBD and THC. Marijuana has commonly been used to get people high and relax the mind. And until recently, it was discovered that there was CBD in weed. CBD is the compound which is used to make cannabis oil through the extraction process whereby the CBD extracts (from the leaves, stalks, and flowers of the hemp plant) are diluted with hemp seed or coconut oil.
Cannabis oil, as mentioned above, claims numerous benefits which seem to include every possible health condition. Cannabis oil products are being used to benefit the health of human beings and animals as well thanks to the attention medical cannabis has been attracting in the past few years. These ailments occur as a result of the dysregulation of the human body’s specialized system – the endocannabinoid system.
As one of the most enthralling systems in the body, the endocannabinoid system is responsible for various functions such as helping the body to adapt to outside stressors and regulating its internal balance. It contains endocannabinoids and their receptors. Endocannabinoid receptors are found everywhere in the body from the brain to other body organs such as the immune cells and the glands. The endocannabinoid system operates distinctively in different parts of the body. However, its main objective is internal balance – homeostasis. Additionally, according to the Scientific American research reports, endocannabinoids are found to be massively liable for the natural hit of euphoria which reduces the sensitivity of pain and upsurges sensations of well-being.
Some people also wonder if CBD oils can get one high. Well, as mentioned earlier, CBD oils are made by diluting CBD extracts and a carrier oil. However, there are some THC oils which contain some CBD in them. CBD oil products come in two primary types: the marijuana-based CBD oil and the hemp-based CBD oil. Marijuana-based CBD oils can be purchased from the dispensary. Hemp-based CBD oils, on the other hand, are what this article seeks to discuss further. These two types of CBD oils are derived from the marijuana plant. However, the hemp and medical marijuana are distinctive varieties of the plant. Marijuana-based CBD constitutes more THC and other cannabinoids. And what many people ought to note is that CBD oils do not contain any THC. Thus, they do not cause euphoric sensations when consumed.
On the other hand, the common variety of the plant that is used to make CBD oil is the hemp. It is also legal among many states and countries in the world. And to identify the difference between marijuana-based CBD oil and hemp-based CBD oil, you need to test the two samples. Hemp-based CBD oil contains less than 4% per dry unit of the THC compound. Conclusively, CBD oil has the benefits of the marijuana plant without exclusive of the potential drawbacks of intoxicating compounds which are typically denoted from using the inhalation method of consumption or others.
How are cannabis oils consumed?
Cannabis oil products come in different forms, and they are used for various purposes. And with many opting for cannabis oil as the natural and effective alternative for their health conditions and other symptoms, the CBD oil market continues to expand at a remarkable rate. This also leads to the vast distribution of CBD oil products in numerous health stores and dispensaries. Some of the most common forms of cannabis oil products are as discussed below.
- Powders. These are CBD products which are used internally. CBD powders can be added to a smoothie, juice, water, or tea. High-quality CBD powders do not have fillers. Instead, they have natural plant compounds.
- Oils. CBD oils are the most effective and natural form of the CBD compound. During the extraction process, CBD oils are removed directly from the leaves, stalks, and flowers of the hemp plant. The most potent CBD oils constitute naturally occurring compounds in the plant. CBD oils are found in bottles with a dropper.
- Sprays. CBD sprays are also another product to use cannabis oils internally. They have low concentrations of CBD compound.
- Vape-oils. These products are used for vaping CBD. They necessitate the utilization of a vape pen or an e-cigarette. However, when vaping CBD using these tools¸ you may experience some side effects when the chemicals are overheated – heated at high temperatures. Additionally, there are CBD waxes which can be used to dab the compound.
- Concentrates. CBD concentrates are also another form of cannabis oil products. They are consumed by placing the cannabis oil drops under the tongue. CBD concentrates have stronger doses of the CBD compound, unlike the other products.
- Tinctures. Another popular method to use to ingest cannabis oil products is through the use of tinctures. These are products which easily estimate the exact amount of cannabis oil you are ingesting. Tinctures are often extracted using alcohol or another solvent. And like oils, you use a dropper to place the drops under your tongue.
- Edibles. CBD edibles are one of the most satisfactory ways to consume CBD oil. Additionally, they are gaining popularity at a steady rate. They include candies, chocolates, baked goods, and gums among others. However, it is challenging to measure the exact amount of CBD you are ingesting using this method. Also, the results may be fickle or unpredictable.
- Topical solutions. Topical CBD products, as the name suggests, are products which are applied directly onto the skin. They include products such as lotions, creams, and salves. Topical solutions benefit the skin as well as the health of the joints and muscles. CBD products of this kind are absorbed into the skin through the dermal layers. Additionally, consumers can use CBD patches to deliver the compound directly into their bloodstreams.
- Capsules. CBD capsules are similar to any other type of capsule or tablet. They are taken with a drink particularly water. Ideally, it is among the most convenient methods to use CBD. However, they give the user minimal control of the dose.
These are some of the most common forms of CBD oil products. And if you are wondering, ‘How does CBD work?’ Well, you do not have to anymore. With the various forms of cannabis oil products above, you can consume it using the different methods of ingestion to feel its effectiveness. And some of the ways through which cannabis oils are consumed include the following.
- Sublingual. The sublingual method is whereby the cannabis oils drops are placed under the tongue using a dropper. This method applies to CBD oils and tinctures products. CBD oils constitute CBD extracts and a carrier oil while tinctures constitute other ingredients such as ethanol, artificial flavoring, vegetable glycerin alcohol, and vinegar. This method of consumption takes about 20 – 40 minutes for the user to feel the effectiveness of the product.
- Inhalation. The inhalation method is also referred to as the vaping method. In this method of consumption, you inhale the CBD oil product using a vape. The vape is used to heat the concentrated CBD compound for it to be inhaled. Unlike other methods of consumption, vaping is not discreet. The inhalation method of consumption enables the product to be absorbed quickly through the lungs thereby being effective immediately. As compared to other methods of consumption, the inhalation method is the quickest to get the product into the bloodstream. Additionally, its effectiveness takes the shortest period compared to other methods. And to get a continuous effect, you will have to take extra doses of the product.
- Topical. The topical method of consumption is whereby the cannabis oil product is applied directly onto the skin. They are essential in benefiting the health of the skin as well as that of the joints and muscles. Additionally, they help reduce inflammation and treat arthritis pain. Cannabis oil products which use this method of consumption include creams, salves, lotions, and lip balms. When applied onto the skin, topical solutions interact with the endocannabinoid receptors thereby targeting the painful part of the body. They do not get absorbed into the bloodstream. Topical cannabis oil products take effect after an hour, and their effectiveness may last up to 5 – 6 hours.
- Ingestion. CBD edibles are consumed using the ingestion method. The products can be found in foods and beverages. You can purchase CBD edibles such as baked goods, candies, gums, chocolates, and coffee where other CBD products are being sold. Also, CBD oils and tinctures can be added to CBD-infused foods and drinks such as smoothies and baked goods. However, you need to refrain from overheating the oil more so over direct heat. This is because it can result in an unpleasant taste. The ingestion method of consumption necessitates that the products be digested before getting absorbed into the bloodstream through the stomach lining. This method of cannabis oil consumption takes about 2 hours to take effect.
- Transdermal. The transdermal method of consumption is more or less similar to the topical method of consumption. It is where skin or transdermal patches (adhesive patches) deliver the CBD compound through the skin. However, unlike the topical method of consumption, these adhesive patches enter the bloodstream by crossing the dermal barrier. They are then activated by the body heat to discharge small amounts of CBD over a prolonged period (around 4 to 6 hours). There are two types of transdermal patches: matrix patches and reservoir patches. Matrix patches are CBD-infused and are found in the adhesive layer. Reservoir patches, on the other hand, are small reservoirs which constitute CBD often mixed with a gel solution. Unlike matrix patches, reservoir patches are usually measured. Thus, you are bound to get a steady proportion of CBD over some time.
These methods of consumptions work differently. Some may take a short time for the effect to kick in whereas others may take a while. Hence, it is up to you the consumer to find which consumption method works best for you. And to find the ideal and most efficient method, seek the help of a professional. They may help prescribe the right dose and effective method of consumption for you.
Why do people use cannabis oil?
Cannabis oil has a wide array of effects on the health and well-being of an individual. It has been connected to a vast range of health issues. Additionally, it has been connected to relieving certain types of pain and treating particular disorders such as depression and anxiety. So, to all those who often wonder and ask, “What does CBD oil do?” below are some of the benefits of using cannabis oil.
- Relieves pain. Cannabis oil interacts with the body’s protein cells and sends chemical signals to the brain and immune system through some stimuli. This helps the body cells to respond positively to chronic pain. And because of its pain-relieving properties, cannabis oil is often recommended to people with back pain and inflammation.
- Reduces stress, anxiety, and depression. Many people often use cannabis oil to relieve themselves from depression, stress, and anxiety. Cannabis oil has natural compounds which enable it to release pleasure hormones and calm the mind. Additionally, these natural compounds help alleviate stress and induce a sense of tranquility and relaxation.
- Alleviates cancer-related symptoms. According to recent and ongoing research, it is believed that cannabis oil helps alleviate cancer-related symptoms. Cannabis oil contains active ingredients which help prevent the effects of cancer. Additionally, it helps reduce the size of a tumor hence making it an effective means to fight cancer. CBD has pain-relieving properties. Thus, it helps kill the pain associated with cancer. Moreover, cannabis oil alleviates the side effects of chemotherapy such as vomiting, anxiety, and nausea.
- Reduces acne. In addition to its pain-killing effects, cannabis oil has anti-inflammatory properties. Hence, it is used as an effective and natural method to reduce acne – a common skin condition. Additionally, cannabis oil regulates the production of sebum thereby reducing adiposity or fattiness on the skin. Also, it fights off the inflammatory cytokines and bacteria instigating or initiating acne.
- Improves the health of the brain. Cannabis oil has proven to be effective in treating patients with multiple sclerosis and epilepsy. According to studies, cannabis oil is verified to be potent in dealing with neurological disorders such as Parkinson’s disease and Davet Syndrome. Cannabis oil prevents cerebral deterioration and neurodegeneration hence benefiting patients with Alzheimer’s disease.
- Reduces migraines. Cannabis oils are potent in reducing migraines. They are often applied topically on the intensifying spot or temple of the migraine. They help soothe crippling headaches and pain due to its pain-relieving properties. Hence, many people opt for recommendations for cannabis and cannabis oils because of their potent abilities to fight pain.
- Stimulates heart health. Cannabis oils have some volatility which make it beneficial in stimulating heart health. They do so by neutralizing the negative oils in the endocannabinoid system. Additionally, they can stimulate the anti-oxidant process by annihilating or removing excess cholesterol and enhancing the health of the cardiovascular system.
- Improves sleep quality. Some people often struggle with insomnia and constant anxiety at night. Hence, getting a peaceful sleep is quite hard for them. But, according to research, cannabis oils can help improve the quality of sleep by reducing insomnia. Contrariwise, it has to be combined with THC to help the body relax.
What to keep in mind
For one to enjoy the benefits of cannabis oil, you have to consume it using the consumption methods discussed above. However, some of the cannabis oil products may take a while before the effect kicks in. Hence, as a consumer, you need to embrace patience. Refrain from taking an overdose at all costs. This is because it may lead to some side effects of which some may be drastic. Some of these side effects include diarrhea, fatigue, dizziness, bloating, dry mouth, changes in appetite, nausea, anxiety, and changes in mood. Additionally, there are rising concerns that excessive use of cannabis oil may lead to an increase in the number of liver enzymes – an indication of liver impairment or inflammation. So, you need to ensure you take the correct dose of the cannabis oil product regardless of the method of consumption you choose to use. And, if you do not know how to measure the exact amount of CBD oil you need to ingest, seek professional help from a certified pharmacist. Not only will they help prescribe the exact dosage you need to consume but also advise on the right consumption method for your particular ailment.
In conclusion, CBD has taken a tremendous upsurge in the marijuana market. Not only is it known to have non-psychoactive or non-intoxicating effects but also useful for various health conditions. This has made many people to choose it as a natural and effective treatment for their different ailments. Users enjoy the medical benefits of marijuana by ingesting or consuming cannabis oil. Cannabis oil is made by removing CBD extracts from the flowers, seeds, and stalks of the hemp plant. They are then diluted with hemp seed oil or coconut oil (carrier oil) to form cannabis oil. Cannabis oils come in varying forms. Some come as concentrates whereas others come as tinctures. Other forms include oils, sprays, vape-oils, powders, capsules, edibles, and topical solutions. These products are consumed using the different methods discussed above.
Also, if you are wondering to yourself, “Where can I get cannabis oil?” Well, you do not have to anymore. Cannabis oil products can be purchased online, from dispensaries, or local health food stores. The marijuana market has expanded remarkably, and the demand for cannabis oil products has taken a tremendous upsurge. Hence, it is easy to get it from these stores. Cannabis oil is a natural and effective remedy for various health conditions and symptoms. Thus, many people prefer it to pharmaceutical drugs. Cannabis oil can be used to relieve chronic pain, reduce acne, stimulate heart health, alleviate-cancer-related symptoms, improve the status of the brain, reduce migraines, as well as reducing stress, anxiety, and depression. It has anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, neuroprotective, and pain-relieving properties. Hence, it is considered convenient and effective for medical use. So, if you are suffering from any of the ailments mentioned above and you are not benefiting from taking pharmaceutical drugs, consider using CBD oil. Not only is it a natural and effective alternative but it is also convenient for your health condition. And while using it as a medication, remember to follow the prescription your pharmacist gives you.